Comment LC-1102

From: Gian Sampson-Wild <gian@tkh.com.au>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:07:06 +1000
To: "'Loretta Guarino Reid'" <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Cc: <public-comments-WCAG20@w3.org>

Comment 75:

Source: http://www.w3.org/mid/001f01c695f9$31b504e0$9288b23a@tkhcomputer
(Issue ID: LC-1102)

Limiting the number of links per page: Firstly this should be an advisory
technique under a specific SC, not under the entire GL (otherwise how do we
know what level it is aimed at?). Secondly, why is this a technique? A
portal site or a news site etc would have difficulty complying and I believe
the number of links on a page is entirely dependent on the content. It will
be diffiicult to define a "limit"

Proposed Change:

Remove this advisory technique

----------------------------
Response from Working Group:
----------------------------

Because the technique is advisory, it is not associated with any level.
Levels are associated with conformance statements, but are not an indication
of importance.

This is an advisory technique for the guideline rather than for one of the
success criteria because it does not address any of the success criteria,
but is a technique that can improve the accessibility of the content for
some users.

The technique is also advisory because there is no clear test for how many
links a page could contain before it would fail.

We agree that there are sites, such as portals or news sites, which would
have a difficult time using this technique. Such sites should use other
techniques to make keyboard navigation manageable and to make the
organization of the page easy to understand.
Response from GSW:
I am happy to close this SC