From: Andrew Somers <andy@generaltitles.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2023 1:51:36 AM
To: Pekka Paalanen <pekka.paalanen@collabora.com>
Cc: Lars Borg <borg@adobe.com>; public-colorweb@w3.org <public-colorweb@w3.org>; Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Specifying an API to query the display color volume

However, I'm confused by claims that PQ monitors would display the
input signal nit-for-nit up to capability and lack end user
adjustments. That would mean any adaptation to the actual viewing
environment would need to happen at the video signal source. My monitor
indeed disables brightness and contrast adjustments in PQ HDR mode.

Yea this. I have been confused by Dolby’s decision making here. It is as if to assume that there is a single environment that all PQ displays shall be in… Sure that works for commercial cinema—but only because of the evolution of film technology and the practical limits on film-projector brightness, which demanded a blackout viewing condition.

Well… that ain’t today…

😳😎

Andrew Somers
Senior Color Science Researcher