From: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:06 AM
To: Mike Smith <miksmith@attglobal.net>
Cc: "public-colorweb@w3.org" <public-colorweb@w3.org>
Subject: Re: specifying colors outside srgb gamut with extended-linear-srgb

I don’t think any cartesian color model, and especially anything RGB-based is "intuitive". That's what polar color models are for (LCH, JzCzHz etc), which more closely match the way humans think about color.

IMO extended sRGB is primarily useful as a translation space, not for humans to specify directly, negative coordinates or not.

--
Lea Verou

👩🏽 (she/her)

Web standards (W3C TAG, CSS WG), Usability research (MIT CSAIL), Open Source

🔗 https://lea.verou.me

🐦 @leaverou