Re: Help with HLG profile

I anyone available who could present the ICC v4 solution to the Color on
the Web CG at TPAC on Thursday afternoon next week ?

I read back over the very illuminating HLG / PQ discussions from earlier in
the year. Thanks to everyone who posted detailed comments back then. Very
helpful!

At the risk of oversimplifying, what I understand from the discussion is
that distribution of a "scene-referred" signal, S, presumes (1) (in
practice) the existence of a function R( S, C, E ), where S is the signal,
C is the display capabilities and E is the environment, where the output of
R is a display-referred signal which is "correct" for that display in that
environment. A "display-referred" signal, D, is just the exact luminance
that should be output by a display with defined capabilities (C1) in a
defined environment (E1). Distribution of a display-referred signal
presumes (2) (in practice) the existence of a function R'( D, C1, E2, C2,
E2 ) that will convert to a "display-referred" signal that is "correct" for
a display with capabilities C2 in environment E2.

It seems to me most of the differences of opinion boil down to differences
in confidence about the presumptions (1) and (2) and the definition (or
indeed importance of, in some cases) of "correct".

It does seem to me, though, that we could say R'( D, C1, E2, C2, E2 ) = R(
R^-1( D, C1, E1), C2, E2 ) and render the two scenarios somewhat equivalent.

Is the root of the problem that "correct" is not sufficiently well-defined
or agreed upon to determine R ?

Again, apologies for the over-simplification!

...Mark