Re: PQ HDR in PNG - draft review

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
wrote:

> Hi Frederik,
>
> > I would prefer that the default was undefined.
>
> Ah. What would be your recommendation for system designers when
> compositing a full scale sRGB pixel onto a PQ image if no explicit
> luminance gain is provided?
>
> The reason to provide an explicit default in my mind is that some
> system designers chose in the past to map full scale sRGB to full
> scale PQ, which makes for unpleasantly bright subtitles/captions.

Unfortunately I think there needs to be a system setting for this, because
any particular value you pick is going to be the wrong value.

> > Correct. Which is why I suggesting that maybe we should have a different
> > tag which lets you specify absolute luminance.
>
> The "luminanceGain" tag is intended to be that tag :) It is used to be
> called absoluteLuminanceGain, but the group felt that 'absolute' was
> rendundant... or are you suggesting that the tag, instead of being a
> multiplier, outright specify the absolute luminance of the sRGB white
> point?

Yes. Because that would have no implication on how things that do not
have the tag should be rendered. If the goal is to match something that
has absolute luminance, then using an absolute value seems right.