Re: Definitions of standardisation and specification Re: Colloquial Tidbits

On Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Dave Pawson wrote:

> Up a level? What you have above is a definition of a 'standards document'?
Correct, it's actually a "de jure" standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_jure_standard

>  I might take a view that a 'standard' is something widely used as a
> common [api? format?]
I see, that is referred to as a "de facto standard":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto_standard

>  I.e. having a document is the first part (mostly necessary), the
> real standard is
>  the next stage where the document is widely used, without (much) extension.
> Is sax a 'standard' compared to html?
>
> Without prompting, I'd pick this adopted view, rather than the
> availability of a document
> as a standard?
It gets complicated from here and it open up a lot of (political) rat holes (see [1], for instance)…. ever wonder why the WHATWG version of HTML is called a "Living Standard"?

> Just a variant view?
It's good to have all opinions out there.

Anyway, we should settle on one or two tasks for the group to begin with.

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/2009/05/_watching_the_google_io.html