Re: Choosing Web Design Guide contents layout

On 17/04/2019 18:29, lisa.seeman wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> The last time we decided on having the patterns in the left menu under a
> subheading patterns. So that it would look like
>
> when opened it would be
>

>     *. User Testing
>     <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/testing>*
>
>     *. User Stories
>     <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/stories>*
>
>     _*- Patterns*_
>
>           * The purpose of a page is clear
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/clear-purpose>
>           * Each step in a process is clear
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/clear-steps>
>           * Visual hierarchy, headings and whitespace are effective
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/visual-heirarchy>
>           * Call out boxes
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/callout-boxes>
>           * Chunk media
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/chunked-media>
>           * Sections have a clear purpose
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/purposeful-sections>
>           * Controls and their operation are clear
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/effective-affordances>
>           * Regions and their controls are recognisable
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/recognizable-regions>
>           * Toolbars and controls are visible or easy to find
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/findable-controls>
>           * Child menu items are clearly related to their parent
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/menu-structure>
>           * Design is likely to be familiar
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/familiar-design>
>           * Design is internally consistent
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/internally-consitent>
>           * Symbols support content
>             <https://w3c.github.io/wai-coga/coga-draft/guide/understandable/helpful-symbols>

Thanks Lisa I changed the structure slightly and attempted to explain:

"Please note, this is close to current document layout but slightly
different as that has all the patterns placed in a 3rd "Patterns"
section, located after "User Stories". I decided not to do this as the
extra level that must be clicked on to expand seems to be unnecessary
and harder to use. "

In other words, I feel that in the interactive version, the Patterns
heading is an necessary extra level of interaction that only hides the
list of patterns and makes them a little harder to access. After all,
the Patterns themselves are a least as important as the testing and
stories for most users.

I agree a Patterns heading does make good sense in the original static
document.

What do other's think?

Steve