Re: Front-matter

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry that I am late to the party with my comments on this thread, but
here goes....

Alastair, thank you for your thorough review of what has been done
historically in the W3C and for your thoughts on the easy reading summary
vs. the current abstract.  I believe you are genuinely working on a way
forward, and I appreciate that.

I want to point out an observation that I believe is relevant to the
discussion.  We all know that there are people with cognitive disabilities
who are involved in standards work.  I do not believe that is what we are
contesting.  I believe that the problem we are trying to bring to light is
that the effectiveness of people with cognitive disabilities in standards
work is compromised by the processes currently in place.  We have ample
evidence of the fact that very little forward progress has been made in
this space for well over a decade.  This is the problem we have to fix.

The process of standards work itself has to become more inclusive of people
with disabilities and that starts with all of us being more sensitive to
the assumptions we make about what is and is not important for people with
disabilities.  Many of the people on the COGA task force have cognitive
impairments of various sorts. The message they have been trying to convey
to the broader working groups is that their voices are being stunted by
processes that are not accessible to them or inclusive of their needs.  If
the brilliant, technical people on the COGA task force are saying this,
then we need to be honest with ourselves that the entry ramp for other
people with cognitive disabilities to be involved in standards work is
filled with obstacles that will likely keep them from being involved.
Whether those obstacles are placed there intentionally, or by accident, the
result is the same:  people with disabilities are being excluded.

I know that this is not something that any of us want and I also realize
that this is not going to be a simple problem to solve. With that said, we
will never solve this problem if we compromise on the basic principle that
people with disabilities should be an integral part of developing the web
standards that will define their access to information technologies.  In
order for them to be a part of the process, the process has to be
accessible to them.

I don't think that we are moving forward on our discussion by debating
whether to have an easy reading summary OR an abstract.  Ideally, we would
have both and even more ideally, the abstract would not be difficult to
understand.  I agree with Alastair that there is going to need to be a
certain level of technical understanding and experience for standards work,
but I also believe that it's not a one-way street.  This is where I think
the problem ultimately lies with respect to including people with
disabilities.  We are expecting them to adapt to the existing model and we
don't have any real expectation that the model will adapt to them.  That
should not be how the Web Accessibility Initiative operates.

So, while I agree that we should focus on COGA documents and making them
easy to consume, I think we also need to maintain our focus on how to
improve the overall standards process so that it is more inclusive and
easier for people with disabilities to have an effective voice.

Jan McSorley
VP, Accessibility
Psychometrics and Testing Services

400 Center Ridge Drive, Suite E
Austin, TX  78753
M - (512) 673-9569
Twitter: @Jan_McSorley
Skype:  jan.mcsorley
www.linkedin.com/in/janmcsorley

Learn more at pearson.com

[image: Pearson]

*We put a man on the moon in the 1960's ... surely we can make information
technology fully accessible to people with disabilities.  It can be done
... it must be done ... it will be done!*