Re: approving the draft for WCAG 2.1

Hi Lisa,

The AG WG 's Charter <https://www.w3.org/2017/01/ag-charter> is quite clear
on expectations, scope and goals:

The WCAG 2.1 recommendation will address gaps in WCAG 2.0 related to
content and will incorporate updated Success Criteria to address content
viewed on small display sizes and used with touch and stylus-based input
modalities - features particularly common for mobile devices. WCAG 2.1 will
also incorporate updated Success Criteria related to content and digital
publications accessed by people with low-vision and with cognitive
disabilities.

Scope

The group will:

   - Develop WCAG 2.1 to address gaps in WCAG 2.0 related to content and
   incorporate updated Success Criteria to address content viewed on small
   display sizes and used with touch and stylus-based input modalities -
   features particularly common for mobile devices. WCAG 2.1 will also
   incorporate updated Success Criteria related to content and digital
   publications accessed by people with low-vision and with cognitive
   disabilities. To keep scope focused, candidate Success Criteria will be
   vetted according to careful WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria acceptance criteria
   <https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/WCAG_2.1_Success_Criteria>.
   - Develop a framework and repository of test rules, to promote a unified
   interpretation of WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1 among different web accessibility
   test tools.
   - Incubate requirements for a major update to WCAG to address usability
   and conformance challenges.
   - Continue development of non-normative documents to support
   implementation of accessibility guidelines.

​
​o​
thing in the above suggests
​ ​
that we will be "complete"
​, "finished"​
, or that
​ proposed SC will automatically make it through the first round of
updates. The charter doesn't say *all* gaps, it just notes "gaps", and with
2.1 I think we've plugged a number of them. We're not finished, not by a
long shot, but per W3C membership directive (the folks that pay to keep the
lights on at the W3C) we're publishing significantly more frequently than
in the past.

One of the key things about the new Charter (and approach for this WG) is
this concept of running updates that will happen in roughly 18-month
increments​, which both gives us the time to get things right, but also
allows us to ship things that *ARE* right (complete) in a timely fashion.
Waiting for "all the new stuff" to be 100% ready means we'll always be
waiting - we saw that with the delay of WCAG 2.0, and external to the W3C,
the downside to that kind of delay was achingly abundant and clear with the
18-years-in-the-making Section 508 refresh. That delay helped no-one
(except the most outrageous foot-draggers). I would hope we can all agree
we don't want that.

So, as we approach our first 2.x publication date, a "good reason" to block
advancing would need to be technical in nature ("this prove-ably cannot be
done at scale", or "this SC is dependant on specifications that themselves
are not complete") BUT NOT because it's taking longer to get COGA SC
complete and ready, or because of perceived biases or "broken promises" -
simply because by virtue of the Charter, we're not finished (nor, I
suspect, will we ever be: we've not even started to think deeply about
accessibility and Virtual Reality, or accessibility and the Internet of
Things, or accessibility and the increased use of speech-input as a
specific 'thing' - in the same way that the mobile discussion actually
morphed to 'touch interfaces' - let alone starting to draft out SC to
address those topic areas).

Perhaps a good way of thinking about this is by using "Chapters" - WCAG 2.1
represents Chapter 1, and WCAG 2.2 will be Chapter 2, and so on and so on.
The book may never be complete, but we'll be adding more chapters at a rate
more reflective of the technology we're dealing with (i.e. every 18
months), and on balance I think that's a very good thing.

I can appreciate the frustration, and the sense that "COGA" has already
waited since 2008, but the new way of publishing WCAG will actually deliver
tangible results on those problems. However we can't expect it all to be
fixed overnight - it will still take patience and perseverance, but
thankfully the wait will be no more than 18 months, so I urge all of the
COGA TF to be thoughtful in their response to the CfC, and remember the
process that has been set up behind our work - it's been drawn up from past
lessons learned.

JF