Re: SC 1.3.4 - Understanding doc update

​​Hi Alastair,

A few points:

1)  "... The autocomplete and autofil attributes (from HTML) were created
to make forms easier for everyone, but they have a much greater impact on
people with cognitive impairments."

[JF] There is no such thing as an *autofill *(note spelling) attribute in
HTML5. The Spec is a little convoluted as it speaks of the *autofill
mantle* (which indicates that "autofilling" can be achieved in two
different ways) HOWEVER both ways still use the @autocomplete attribute
(only).

2)  "... although it isn’t very helpful for personalisation..."

[JF] I *STRONGLY* reject that assertion (as did Jon Avila
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2018JanMar/1328.html>).
The presence of a fixed string of text with predictable "*attribute +
[value strings]*" can indeed be used for personalization. In fact, the
Personalization TF are already headed in a similar (identical) direction
today, through the use of a collection of
*new attributes and fixed values:*

*Requirement:* Having familiar terms and symbols is key to being able to
use the web. However what is familiar for one user may be strange for
another requiring them to learn new symbols. If a user agent or script
knows the context of links, buttons, and other page elements then symbols
and text used can be ones that the user understands. This can include:

   - Symbols and graphics that they are familiar with
   - Tooltips
   - Language the use can understand
   - Keyboard short cuts

*For that we need to standardize supportive syntax and terms that can be
linked to associated symbols, terms, translations and explanations, for the
individual, via an attribute.*
(source:
https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/index.html#use_case_adding_context
)

*For example, those @autocomplete strings could all be used for an injected
stylesheet that adds symbols to the form inputs, in a fashion identical
to the current PoC
here: https://a11y-resources.com/developer/adaptable-ui-personalisation#aui-field
<https://a11y-resources.com/developer/adaptable-ui-personalisation#aui-field>.
I would vehemently oppose any text that suggests otherwise.*

3) Metadata tokens

[JF] Despite assertions to the contrary, I posit that using @autocomplete
with the list of fixed values is indeed a limited metadata taxonomy. I
think it's extremely important that we start to socialize the notion that
this type of element-level metadata (or, more accurately, microdata) is the
longer-term goal for Personalization (as illustrated in the Personalization
Module <https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/index.html>
).

4) Housekeeping

[JF] There are multiple instances where you have hyphenated auto-complete:
please note that in the HTML spec it isn't hyphenated, so I suggest we
match that (US?) spelling instead.

JF

--
John Foliot