From: Chagnon | PubCom [mailto:chagnon@pubcom.com]
Sent: 05 September 2017 15:36
To: 'Steve Lee' <steve@opendirective.com>; 'public-cognitive-a11y-tf' <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Another NNGroup post on the problems with Flat design.

It's not the "Flat Design" that's the problem. That just means that visual clutter has been removed, such as drop shadows and beveled 3-D sculpted buttons.

That actually benefits accessibility.

The problem is the lack of visual contrast that is now in vogue with designers (and I'm speaking as a professional designer). It has nothing to do with the "flat design" theory, but is being built into websites, software, digital media, and graphic design along with the flat concept.

Grey text on a grey background isn't "flat design." It's just plain stupid and unreadable.

--Bevi Chagnon