Re: proposed change of language for common words

Some thoughts

same applies I think to nav, error, instructions

some questions

Error messages are notorious for having to describe things — and use words that will not be in the 1500?
is an OK button a response?

We have a page where many/most of the navigation elements will not be in the list.
What constitutes a navigation element?   (links are all navigation elements for many people)

again - I think we really need to try to apply these on web pages.
Try this one on the GL web pages.
then try IEEE
then the Access Board

 RE changing the word list
how does this help?    we presume that the reason for this is to fall within the language of the user.  If I change the list for each site - then the words the person must know is much more than 1500
what is the purpose of posting the list?   is the user supposed to read all the words first and see if they know them? (or is this just for testability —   and users actually need to learn many more words to surf across websites?
if links are included — then news sites will fail even if they change their wordlist every day

best

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu