Re: suggested table of content

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu

> On May 1, 2017, at 5:02 PM, Michael Pluke <Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregg
>
> I agree that the vast majority of the material will be under “Understandable”.

Agree

> When I’ve analysed a lot of the existing complex COGA SC proposals it is almost as if the scope of the proposed SC is more similar to a WCAG 2.0 guideline and some of the elements contained in the proposal might make individual SCs. I think that the wording that describes the overriding principles of existing SC proposals is often the material that everyone is (correctly) claiming is imprecise and untestable. Whereas this is unacceptable for an SC, guidelines are not meant to be testable – so putting these overriding principles as guidelines should in theory work perfectly.

Agree

> If my analysis is at least partly right, this raises the question of whether we could disassemble these complex SC proposals and:
>
> Propose a brand new Guideline (under Understandable) to include in WCAG 2.1;
> Propose one or more SCs under the new guideline to also include.

Hmmm  yes  - you need SC for each guideline  (at least one - hopefully several)

> Does this a) make sense and

Interesting thought.  Would need to see what it would look like to determine if it would make sense or not. Also have to see if they are genuinely new guidelines or whether the topic fall under the existing guidelines.

> b) do you believe that it will be acceptable to add new guidelines in WCAG 2.1 under the “Understandable” principle?

 I would think if there are new guidelines with qualified SC  under them  that are not conflated  with the other guidelines they could certainly be added under understandable.

So I think the answer to your basic question is yes it is possible if the guidelines and SC make sense and qualify as new guidelines (non-testable general guidance) and SC (testable etc).

 only the SC  would be used for conformance but the guidelines would still provide guidance and they would be within WCAG 2.1

 in summary, interesting thought, to evaluate it further would require seeing text to see if it makes sense or actually works.

  unable to judge without text, but intrigued

Gregg