RE: Re: what is the consensus? was RE: Argument to revert my "User authentication methods" success criteria to the pre-5th Sept COGA call version (with a small mod)

I will make an attempt, but I am in a conference for the next three days (with events during the evening). Working in raw html is not a task that will be easy for me when I am trying to focus on the content of the busy conference!

Best regards

Mike

From: lisa.seeman [mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com]
Sent: 15 September 2016 19:51
To: Michael Pluke <Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com>
Cc: Thad C <inclusivethinking@gmail.com>; public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Re: what is the consensus? was RE: Argument to revert my "User authentication methods" success criteria to the pre-5th Sept COGA call version (with a small mod)

Mike, could you put this in the draft template and I  show it to wcag at tpac? They might have some interesting feedback

LinkedIn<http://il.linkedin.com/in/lisaseeman/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/SeemanLisa>

---- On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 20:52:43 +0300 <lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>> wrote ----
I think that could work but wonder if the second provision will not be come outdated soon after  it gets to CR

In which case maybe we want the following:

If there maybe  users who are unable to use the primary user authentication method  an alternative method should be offered that ...(conforms to Option 2).

That way the extra burned of an additional login expires as soon as the easy sign in becomes ubiquitous. we can explain it in the description section

LinkedIn<http://il.linkedin.com/in/lisaseeman/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/SeemanLisa>

---- On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:35:24 +0300 Michael Pluke <Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com<mailto:Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com>> wrote ----
Hi Thad and Lisa

Lack of good technology is not really my primary concern regarding Option 1. I think that quite good technology already exists to support user authentication methods that pose few problems for users with cognitive disabilities e.g. web services that support automatic login of Apple TouchID authenticated users as well as login via Facebook, Google, AppleID etc. I expect that these will increasingly become the PRIMARY method offered to users - leading to the apparent death of the password. All of these methods meet the rigorous Option 1 requirements - which I think can be more succinctly summarised as not requiring the user to memorise, recall or mentally process information.

However all of these methods require some pre-conditions before a user can use them. The user approaching the service must have specific proprietary hardware configurations or be signed up to and logged in to a service recognised by the web service's user authentication method. A web service can, and several do, support multiple of these proprietary methods but there will always be people who are permanently (don't own the hardware or are not subscribed to the offered service(s)) or temporarily unable (dead battery on a key authentication device) to use the offered methods.

I think that this contrast between what would be best for users with cognitive disabilities (Option 1) and what a last-resort fallback solution (Option 2) should look like when the Option 1 solution won't work for a user (which is inevitable) is the cause of the strong Option 1/Option 2 divergence.

Option 1 is the ideal form of user authentication to maximise the usability for all - the problem is there will be situations where users will be unable to use such a biometric/SSO/token solution. Option 2 describes the minimum requirements for a fallback method that those unable to use the Option 1 method should expect.  I think that it is these completely different perspectives that is the cause of the strongly felt Option 1/Option 2 divergence. I believe that both perspectives are valid in their own context and that neither is sufficient to fully describe the requirement.

Here is a suggestion of how I think that we can define a very robust and comprehensive success criterion that says (in terms of ideas rather than exact words):

1) The primary user authentication method offered to users should not require the user to  memorise, recall or mentally process information.

2) For users who are unable to use the primary user authentication method an alternative method should be offered that ...(conforms to Option 2).

Whereas I was not prepared to draft a simple Option 1 as I thought it had serious limitations, I would be happy to try to modify the success criterion to reflect this more sophisticated and realistic model.

Does this option look OK to others?

Best regards

Mike

Sent using CloudMagic Email<https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=ti&cv=7.9.8&pv=9.3.1&source=email_footer_2>