Re: Evidence that WCAG 2.0 WG 'promised' to cover Cognitive issues in the next version of WCAG

Thanks Lisa.

Related to the objection, Lisa wrote that:

The aim of the objection is that:
a, The working group understands that  WCAG 2.0 does not provide all the requirements for access for cognitive limitations, and
b, to encourage continued work on an extension guideline that will address these needs.

I agree completely – I don’t think that anyone believes that WCAG 2.0 addresses all requirements for any user group, but in particular cognitive.

Lisa then wrote:

I also want to offer again to set up a sub group to work on an extension guideline or  success criteria that does the job.   Personally I believe what is needed is a concentrated and planned effort, that should include:

  a.. An evaluation of different learning disabilities and cognitive limitations
  b.. An analysis of the difficulties of the different groups when accessing web content
  c.. A gap analysis between current techniques and required support
  d..  Innovation and proposal stage
  e.. User testing of proposed techniques

I hope that people agree that the work of the COGA TF is squarely in line with this list, and in some cases goes beyond it. The COGA group has indicated that they have focused on certain types of cognitive disabilities and that there is more work to be done in the future to complete an evaluation, but they have taken a big chunk in this first effort.

The COGA group will be able to propose new techniques and as we know, will also be suggesting new success criteria (this is the part that isn’t called out in the above list), so I’m happy (but not surprised) to see that the focus of the COGA group is so well-aligned to the concerns around the time of publication of WCAG 2.0.

Of course, we still need to get the SC and techniques written and accepted, but that work is underway!

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility
Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com
http://twitter.com/awkawk