Re: rewording of SC

The Success Criteria I am working on is in the pending status. I would like
to propose new wording for improved clarity.

Current wording

The success or failure of every action should be clearly indicated
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#dfn-clearly-indicated-success-or-failure>
to the user and visual rapid feedback
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#dfn-rapid-feedback>
should be available. Spoken feedback
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#dfn-spoken-feedback>
should be a user selectable option.

Proposed wording

The success or failure of every user initiated action is clearly indicated
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#dfn-clearly-indicated-success-or-failure>
the user by visual, programmatically determinable, rapid feedback
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#dfn-rapid-feedback>
. Audio feedback
<https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/index.html#dfn-spoken-feedback>
should
be a user selectable option.

Notes:

   - "user initiated" was added to avoid including events like a pop-under
   window successfully or unsuccessfully opening or a non-UI impacting script
   to run or an embedded third party add from loading. I am not certain my
   proposed wording is the right way to go about addressing the 'feedback
   following an action the user took' intent of this success criteria. If the
   Task Force intends to have this Success Criteria include system initiated
   events, then "user initiated" is not needed.
   - Replaced first "should be" in first sentence with "is" to make the
   statement definitive and testable. Removed "should be available" at the end
   of the sentence for the same reason.
   - "programmatically determinable" added to clarify the need for feedback
   to be exposed to assistive technologies.
   - "audio" for "spoken" since a tone or chime would provide the necessary
   feedback
   - "spoken feedback" is a defined term and would need to change to "audio
      feedback", I have not considered the potential need for rewording the
      definition due to this change.

--
Regards,
Kurt Mattes