From: lisa.seeman [mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com]
Sent: 11 August 2016 10:25
To: Mary Jo Mueller <maryjom@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Rochford, John <john.rochford@umassmed.edu>; public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Joshue O Connor suggestion

I also found the term feedback loop confusing. It means something else in Engineering.

I like this proposal. we can handle the spoken option by support of personlization

LinkedIn<http://il.linkedin.com/in/lisaseeman/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/SeemanLisa>

---- On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:06:39 +0300 Mary Jo Mueller<maryjom@us.ibm.com> wrote ----

I'm probably joining this conversation a bit late, but do have some thoughts on this topic and I understand the verbiage is often very difficult to nail down on these requirements. Don't take my comments as criticisms, as I'm playing devil's advocate for a bit. Dealt too much lately with folks that over-interpret things and try to require way too much to the point it gets over-burdensome and prescriptive to anyone trying to develop any kind of application. Now for my comments...

I am an engineer too, and though I understand what a feedback loop is, I don't think the term is widely understood and to me it doesn't quite fit as it isn't really a continuous loop that the user is looking for. They want to take an action, learn of an issue and correct it - one time, not loop back again and again which is more of what a feedback loop is about. So could the term "feedback" be used instead?

Since this is an accessibility requirement being drafted, adding "accessible" seems a bit redundant.

The suggestion that there be multiple ways of presenting that feedback is an important one, and maybe it can be simply stated as such using "multiple ways" or "multiple modalities", but not sure it really makes sense to have multiple ways/modalities for every single possible action in a UI.

The multiple ways could be in some advisory techniques, unless we really want to require multiple ways.

And yet another question...should literally "every action" have feedback, and what kind of feedback? Clicking on a link is an action, the feedback is new content is loaded and viewable. Would you really need another modality of feedback for that? I'm just trying to think of possible scenarios where users of this guidance could misinterpret the requirement and take it much too far. How do you know you've really done it right and have a basis for saying you comply when someone else interprets it to mean you need multiple modalities of feedback on every single thing a user does in the UI?

So my suggested update would be:
3.5.1 The success or failure of actions should be clearly indicated to the user with timely and understandable feedback.

Best regards,

Mary Jo

________________________________

[cid:image001.jpg@01D1F3BD.9F2E8690]<http://www.ibm.com/able>

Mary Jo Mueller
Accessibility Standards Program Manager
IBM Accessibility, IBM Research, Austin, TX
Phone: 512-286-9698 | Tie-line: 363-9698
Search for accessibility answers<http://ibm.biz/a11y-search> [cid:image002.jpg@01D1F3BD.9F2E8690]

[cid:image005.gif@01D1F3BD.9F2E8690]

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
~John Quincy Adams

[cid:image006.gif@01D1F3BD.9F2E8690]"Rochford, John" ---08/09/2016 06:40:03 AM---Hi Lisa and All, I agree with E.A.'s suggestion and with Mike's elaboration of it.