From: Mary Jo Mueller [maryjom@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 07 July 2015 20:11
To: Rochford, John
Cc: public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: Re: FW: Issue Paper on multi-modal content delivery, v. 2

Nice paper John. I have a few comments and questions.

In the Text to Speech section, wondering if the CSS speech capabilities could be used as one solution. If so, that should be added.

Question about Video - Would audio description also be helpful to people with cognitive disabilities - not simply captioning?  If so, that should be added to the Video section.

Text With Context-Relevant Images - I would imagine that sometimes diagrams would be helpful, depending on the text content being shown in a visual representation.  For example, if you're describing some sort of process or flow, a diagram could help with comprehension.  When you use something like HTML Canvas, the visual representation could even be made interactive and have further description for the parts to aid in the comprehension.

What about content such as charts and diagrams?  How can those be made more comprehensible to someone with a cognitive disability?  I would think that someone with a cognitive disability might have trouble understanding or drawing conclusions from graphical representations of data. Would think that there should be some strategies for making them understandable.

Best regards,
Mary Jo Mueller
IBM Accessibility Standards Program Manager, IBM Accessibility          [HA&AC Logo]

Phone: 1-512-286-9698 | Tie-Line: 363-9698
E-mail: maryjom@us.ibm.com<mailto:hnielsen@us.ibm.com>
HA&AC Able Website: w3.ibm.com/able<http://w3.ibm.com/able>
Follow the Human Ability and Accessibility Center on: [cid:3__=09BBF4E8DFC4BC298f9e8a93df938@us.ibm.com]  <http://www.linkedin.com/e/vgh/2419815/eml-grp-sub/>  [cid:4__=09BBF4E8DFC4BC298f9e8a93df938@us.ibm.com]  <http://twitter.com/IBMAccess>  [cid:5__=09BBF4E8DFC4BC298f9e8a93df938@us.ibm.com]  <http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility>  and within IBM on: [cid:6__=09BBF4E8DFC4BC298f9e8a93df938@us.ibm.com]  <https://w3-connections.ibm.com/communities/service/html/communityview?communityUuid=3a5f75da-4e1b-4551-be80-1c660d47897c>
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”  ~ John Quincy Adams

[Inactive hide details for "Rochford, John" ---07/06/2015 11:21:17 AM---Hi All, Lisa and I are interested in feedback on the mul]"Rochford, John" ---07/06/2015 11:21:17 AM---Hi All, Lisa and I are interested in feedback on the multi-modal issue paper. (See below.) Would you