From: Jamie Knight [mailto:Jamie.Knight@bbc.co.uk]
Sent: 18 August 2015 16:27
To: Michael Pluke
Cc: EA Draffan; public-cognitive-a11y-tf
Subject: Re: Hamburger menu (was Re: technique to include security)

Hiya,

This sounds like the exact use case for alternative content or aria-literal. Provide a uniform method for providing literal translations for content which is non literal.

That said, the 'hamburger icon' is a little icon showing a list items. It's name does not match what the list is suppose to show granted, but the pictogram is intended to show items in a list.

 too think that the icon is not too obvious on many UIs and is all too easy to miss.

It competes with other content. This is probably more a case of size, position, shape and colour / contrast than of the icon itself. If it is not prominent enough, changing the pictogram on the icon won't help much.

So again I think that this may be a case where users may either need to personalize the interface to give them an icon that is more obviously an icon and actually means something to them or they might need a completely different, even messier, UI.

I'm in full support for personalisation. Standard hooks to swap out or replace common UI components with those better understood or preferred by the user is a very good thing. Agree totally there. Giving users the ability to swap out to hamburger icon if they don't understand it / prefer one which is more clearly literal is a good idea.

A separate 'messier' UI however I would not support. 'Accessible' versions (last time aimed at blind users) have major issues of their own. I would strongly object to encouraging their use again.

We should always aim for a single resource wherever possible. Much like with alt attribute content, drift is a big problem when there are multiple resources for authors to maintain.

Summery;

- hamburger icon, while badly named is literal. It sounds like the issues your describing is more about prominence / design related than the pictogram. Useful to hear your experiences tho. Helps to show how 'once you have met one autistic person. You have met one autistic person' :)

- personalisation good

- special 'accessible' versions bad

Hope that helps? Lots and lots of good topics falling out of this discussion :)

Jamie + Lion

Sent from my iPhone