W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org > June 2014

COGA Meeting Minutes - 9 June 2014

From: Mary Jo Mueller <maryjom@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:06:05 -0500
To: "public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org" <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <OF39D4D513.143E60CC-ON85257CF2.006E3728-86257CF2.006E6BB1@us.ibm.com>

Hi All,

Here is a link to the meeting minutes from 2014-06-09.
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html


I have pasted below the meeting-minutes text from that page.

- DRAFT -
Cognitive Task Force
09 Jun 2014


See also: IRC log


Attendees
Present
      Lisa_Seeman, Neil, tony_doran, Mary_Jo_Mueller, slee?, Debbie_Dahl,
      +1.512.659.aacc, Susann_Keohane
Regrets
      EA_Draffan, John_Rochford, Tim_Boland, maybe_Liddy
Chair
      Lisa_Seeman
Scribe
      MaryJo
Contents
      Topics
         1.	set scribe
         2.	review actions, groups
         3.	think about schedules, tpac
         4.	user group findings (if ready)
         5.	what other technologies and approaches should we be reviewing
         6.	continuation of discussion on how to present techniques
      Summary of Action Items



<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this


<Lisa_Seeman> chair: Lisa_Seeman


<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this


<Tony_Doran> Hi Folks - British Telecom are in my street at the moment, my
connection has been flakey for the last hour and landline phone


<Lisa_Seeman> sorry to here that...


<Tony_Doran> Apologies if I drop out


<Tony_Doran> Anytime I see a BT van I know someone is in for some fun :)


<Lisa_Seeman> :)


<Lisa_Seeman> That is one way to look at it


<Lisa_Seeman> r u calling in?


<Tony_Doran> Trying to now


<neilmilliken> +44.203.618.aabb is neilmilliken


<slee> Hi folks - can I be included?


<Lisa_Seeman> hi steve _


<Lisa_Seeman> steve can u call in


<slee> oops forgot it's Zakim


<scribe> scribe: MaryJo


set scribe
review actions, groups


<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/actions/



LS: We'll have to start setting schedules for our disability groups, as no
one on the call has any progress to note.
... Action item is a review of APIP to analyze that research, but Suzanne
Taylor isn't on the call.


think about schedules, tpac


LS: Scheduling is a process. We need to do the gap analysis and the WCAG
and PF working groups will need to review it.


<neilmilliken> We've been working with John Rochford on Autism - we have
made progress on user scenarios.


LS: They are wondering where we are at in our work and when we'll have
something for them to review.
... We need to analyze what is missing. We need to know when each sub-group
will have a draft of the gap analysis.
... Lisa is willing to help pull together the drafts to bring forward to
the working groups.
... Needs group input to set up a schedule.


NM: Perhaps we can provide the work we've done so far into manageable
pieces to send to the working groups to review, instead of waiting to have
everything ready.


LS: GPII and Access for All work should be written up in the wiki like we
did with APII.
... With a view of how we can use it in the future cognitive work.


<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: Lisa ping steve on actions on GPII and access 4 all
review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action01

]


<trackbot> Created ACTION-12 - Ping steve on actions on gpii and access 4
all review [on Lisa Seeman - due 2014-06-16].


Steve: Can get a draft out in about two weeks.


LS: For Neil's suggestion, need to put together a schedule for the literary
review and the useful technologies and then the other gap analysis sections
can come later.
... What should be in the background research sections?
... There are 5 sections to the gap analysis, so the background research is
for the analysis of the use cases. When should we target those sections
being complete?
... Question raised about how in-depth these research sections should be.
The dyslexia and discalculia sections can be used as a guide.
... This is a high level discussion of research areas, and in-depth
analysis in user stories of these users when they use technology and the
web.
... Technology analysis can also be high level with links. The analysis of
the challenges should be more in-depth.


<Lisa_Seeman>
https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Gap_Analysis/Dyslexia



DD: Break up the work into what we want to publish first, and then later
publish what we want to add.


NM: Have done some work regarding different cognitive difficulties around
autism and for dementia and aging and need access to the wiki.


<Zakim> ddahl, you wanted to ask if we plan to publish several drafts as we
collect sections


NM: Not sure how to chunk the sections and what will be due when or if we
should draft everything to get initial feedback.


LS: Would like to put out a first draft of section 2 in three months.
... That means that we would have an internal review in 6 weeks and have
time to incorporate our group's feedback before publishing the draft.
... We'll need group buy-in on this, so will send out an email to the TF.


<Tony_Doran> I am sorry call is dropping a lot


<slee> what is that? KeyPac?


LS: We should try to do a F2F at TPAC, or else schedule another F2F. TPAC
is the end of October, but we'll have trouble getting a meeting room.
... If we could meet the day before TPAC or day after that would be good.
Should we meet before TPAC since it is 4 months away?


<slee> MaryJo: So it's "TPAC" thanks


NM: TPAC will probably be the best timing since people will be on holiday
in August.


user group findings (if ready)


LS: W3C is using GitHub more than the wiki for the documents. Should we
switch to GitHub?
... Some people don't like the wiki, so we could check into porting over to
GitHub.
... Will check to see if this is an option


what other technologies and approaches should we be reviewing


<slee> I don;t see the direct relationship between a wiki (shared doc) and
git hub (version control + issues + web pages)


<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: cynthia do review aria [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action02]


<trackbot> Created ACTION-13 - Do review aria [on Cynthia Shelly - due
2014-06-16].


LS: Possibly IDSA, WAI-ARIA (Cynthia Shelly), Fluid (Rich)


<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: rich review fluid [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action03]


<trackbot> Created ACTION-14 - Review fluid [on Richard Schwerdtfeger - due
2014-06-16].


<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: lisa review RDFA [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action04]


<trackbot> Created ACTION-15 - Review rdfa [on Lisa Seeman - due
2014-06-16].


SK: For user groups - Will be looking into ADD/ADHD with Mary Jo, but
haven't gotten started yet.


<neilmilliken> Liddy was talking about globish


DD: We could look at speech and language technologies that do language
simplification. These may not be mature enough today, but are maturing.


<Tony_Doran> Agree on the simplification


<Tony_Doran> Summarisation has moved a fair bit in the last few years


DD: There are also summarization technologies that are better than language
simplification, readability calculations, and others.


<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: ddahl: simplification tech review [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action05]


<trackbot> Created ACTION-16 - Simplification tech review [on Deborah Dahl
- due 2014-06-16].


<neilmilliken> tony are you volunteering :-)?


DD: These technologies could be helpful for cognitive disabilities, such as
dyslexia.


<Lisa_Seeman> tony do you want to review how reading level measurements
help ?


NM: There's a lot of technologies out there that we may not be aware of.
May need to put out a note to wider group to gather knowledge about that.


<neilmilliken>
https://webmail.it-solutions.atos.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=K-Qzlbd740C2MsOQXYTnUmgz_gaTV9EIMWCcvYEFPrZ6bakstZSwamR0zM96YFW75Mq_Y1tXQIs.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.alltogetherwecan.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f05%2fiPad-Apps-for-Complex-Communication-Support-Needs.pdf


LS: Need someone to look into IndieUI as well.


<Lisa_Seeman> http://accessibility.athena-ict.com/TechniquesCOGA.html



<Lisa_Seeman>
https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Good_and_bad_practices



<neilmilliken> http://www.thoughtworks.com/radar/#/



<neilmilliken>
http://www.alltogetherwecan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/iPad-Apps-for-Complex-Communication-Support-Needs.pdf



continuation of discussion on how to present techniques


<Lisa_Seeman>
https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Good_and_bad_practices



<Lisa_Seeman> http://accessibility.athena-ict.com/TechniquesCOGA.html



LS: The second link has a more traditional heading structure.
... As we go through the user groups and begin coming up with techniqes to
help, this is a draft about how to possibly document them.
... This is more about cognitive functions rather than disability names.


<Tony_Doran> Sorry folks my call dropped and I can't get back in as it's
late


LS: Would like to get feedback on which structure/way to document is
better. There is a list of WCAG criteria that would need to be met to
address the user needs of people with cognitive disabilities.
... It would be used to collect ideas as we are working on our disability
type, so we don't lose these types of thoughts as we are working.
... We aren't working on making this complete just yet.


<neilmilliken> I have to go now see you next week


<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=67703&public=1



<slee> Thanks all


Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: cynthia do review aria [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: ddahl: simplification tech review [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Lisa ping steve on actions on GPII and access 4 all review
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: lisa review RDFA [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: rich review fluid [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action03]

[End of minutes]



Best regards,
                                                                                            
                                                                         HA&AC Logo         
                                                                                            
   Mary Jo Mueller                                                                          
   IBM Accessibility Standards Lead, Human Ability & Accessibility                          
   Center                                                                                   
                                                                                            
                                                                                            
                                                                                            
   Phone: 1-512-286-9698 | Tie-Line: 363-9698                                               
   E-mail: maryjom@us.ibm.com                                                               
   HA&AC Able Website: w3.ibm.com/able                                                      
   Follow the Human Ability and Accessibility Center on:       and                          
   within IBM on:                                                                           
                                                                                            



“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and
become more, you are a leader.”  ~ John Quincy Adams



ecblank.gif
(image/gif attachment: ecblank.gif)

3D098262.gif
(image/gif attachment: 3D098262.gif)

3D045304.gif
(image/gif attachment: 3D045304.gif)

3D380495.gif
(image/gif attachment: 3D380495.gif)

3D290843.gif
(image/gif attachment: 3D290843.gif)

3D905041.gif
(image/gif attachment: 3D905041.gif)

Received on Monday, 9 June 2014 20:13:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:01:19 UTC