From: Rochford, John [mailto:john.rochford@umassmed.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:54 AM
To: Steve Lee; public-cognitive-a11y-tf
Subject: RE: Tech industry completes its standards for banishing passwords

Hi Steve and All,

I have added these standards, known as FIDO, to the issue paper on web security and privacy technologies, as an alternative technology. The following is how I described it. I am open, as always, to suggestions.

Fast IDentity Online (FIDO), password-free standards for typical and two-factor authentication.

*       FIDO relies upon user authentication based upon a user's device (e.g., phone, tablet, computer).

*       A user's device registers the user, to a server, via a public key.

*       Upon a challenge from the server, the user's device responds with a private key.

*       The device's keys are unlocked by the user biometrically (e.g., fingerprint scanner) or by a button press, not by a password.

I thank Steve for the referral.

John

John Rochford
UMass Medical School/E.K. Shriver Center
Director, INDEX Program
Instructor, Family Medicine & Community Health
 <http://www.disabilityinfo.org/> http://www.DisabilityInfo.org
Twitter: @ClearHelper