From: Elle [mailto:nethermind@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 2:41 PM
To: Steve Lee
Cc: public-cognitive-a11y-tf; John Rochford
Subject: Re: Google Can Now Tell You're Not a Robot With Just One Click

Hi, Steve:

We've just begun our testing, but we have found that in an authenticated state (i.e. logged into Google apps, cached indicators of identity, etc.), both VoiceOver/Safari and NVDA/Firefox worked well. Additionally, Dragon NaturallySpeaking (14) worked well. We're doing testing on mobile, JAWS, and several unauthenticated scenarios this week, and we're setting up some user testing to get real-world feedback.

I think that there are two things that are getting confusing in the public forums (Twitter, WebAIM, etc.): people seem to maintain that to like this solution one must like and approve of CAPTCHA, and people express frustration and anger at the inaccessible state of the fallback.  Here's our position on both.

  1.  CAPTCHA is still a faulty concept. When we talk about early signs of accessibility improvements, we aren't saying that this CAPTCHA solution provides good for security or that it cannot be hacked. Frankly, that's not our concern. We still believe that CAPTCHA is not ideal, since it does put a technical problem upon the user to solve, and it's a mousetrap that's bound to fail if the cheese is enticing enough.
  2.  Intentional improvement, even if not 100%, is still worth praising. When we look at scenarios that seem to require the CAPTCHA fallback, it's not an improvement, but it's also not any different than it was before Google's no-CAPTCHA was released. I humbly maintain that while inaccessible solutions should not be tolerated, Google seems to be incurring wrath from even attempting to include any accessibility improvements in their most recent implementation. Maybe that's why they didn't even mention it in their blog posts - what a missed opportunity to educate others about inclusive design. I would rather encourage them to keep working at this on the unauthenticated state until a better idea comes along.

Again, I'd really appreciate anyone's feedback if they've tested this. When our next round of testing is complete, we'll publish those results on our site (www.simplyaccessible.com<http://www.simplyaccessible.com>).

All the best,
Elle

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
- Antoine De Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince