RE: chemistry speech

I started filling it in. You are right that we would say H 2 O, but if I understand it, this is MathML or similar and so would have to be the same for all levels of students, including beginners?

Elaine

From: Neil Soiffer<mailto:soiffer@alum.mit.edu>
Sent: 02 August 2022 17:09
To: Eleanor.Crabb<mailto:eleanor.crabb@open.ac.uk>; Chemistry CG<mailto:public-chem-web-pub@w3.org>
Subject: Re: chemistry speech

CAUTION: This mail comes from outside the University. Please consider this before opening attachments, clicking links, or acting on the content.
Yes, you are correct (although with spaces). Eg. "cap C 6 cap H 12 cap 0 6" for the first one. Someone has started filling in responses (thanks!) but I'm very dubious that the use of the word "subscript" is appropriate to speak chemistry notation. I've never heard anyone say "cap H subscript 2 cap 0" for water. It is always "H 2 O".

    Neil