Re: Relationship with other groups (was Re: Eating our own dog food (Was: Generic Change Tracking draft spec))

Dear all,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Robin LaFontaine <
robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com> wrote:

>  Liam raises the point about other groups - perhaps there are members of
> this group who are also involved with those groups and could help with
> that?
>
> 1. HTML5
> I believe our primary goal is XML but it would be very good to be
> applicable to HTML5 also. As part of other work we are looking at HTML5
> and processing it as XML to detect changes, but we are not yet far enough
> along that road to comment.

Indeed any tree representation could be targeted by change tracking. This
should then appear in the
https://www.w3.org/community/change/wiki/Use_cases_and_requirements
So please proceed

> 2. Efficient XML Interchange (EXI)
> I would very much hope we would be fully compatible with EXI because we will
> conform to XML - is there anyone who could comment in more depth on this?

I don't see how EXI would be a problem here, since EXI is fully XML
compliant. We can definitely add a requirement to be compatible with EXI in
the Use Case & Requirements document, but I don't see more burden here.

> 3. XPath changes to give a 'time axis' to XML per XML Prague paper
> From my recollection of this paper, the idea was to provide a time axis
> to an XML document, so you could query it as it was at a particular
> time/version. My initial thought is that this could require a fair bit of
> processing though might theoretically be possible. It would be necessary to
> work out the state of the document at the specified time which means
> reversing the changes made back to that point - could be done! The
> information is there but the format is not designed for that type of
> query.

I don't see us have the ability to change XPath just by asking.
But what we can definitely do, is writing a spec related to that and try to
see the implication. It may then be accepted by the XSLT & XQuery WG as a
Note that people could implement in a more standard way (without it being
mandatory : same as the namespace axis)

Mohamed

--
Innovimax SARL