From: Claudius Teodorescu [mailto:claudius.teodorescu@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 09:28
To: public-change@w3.org
Subject: Fwd: Change tracking processing instructions and deletion

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Claudius Teodorescu <claudius.teodorescu@gmail.com <mailto:claudius.teodorescu@gmail.com> >
Date: Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM
To: Robin LaFontaine <robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com <mailto:robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com> >

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Robin LaFontaine <robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com <mailto:robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com> > wrote:
Hi Claudius,

I think one issue with XQuery Update for change tracking is that although it looks good for one transaction, it does not work well for multiple transactions because the XPaths will change as the document is changed. In theory you could undo the changes in order (though only if every change had been tracked), but it would be almost impossible to undo in any other order with predictable results.

You can have one transaction containing multiple update operations, like:
<?change user="nigel" time="2014-08-27 15:12:00" change="(delete node //p[1], insert node &lt;p xml:lang="en"&gt;Hello World&lt;/p&gt; into //body)" ?>.

But, this will not work with randomly acceptance/rejection of changes, as you said. On the other hand, dealing with random acceptances/rejections is hard for separate change logs, not matter how they are written.
Keeping the change log within the document is needed to be a positional approach, in order to allow random acceptances/rejections, as the change log records are to be nearby the former/new content.
So, this positional approach seems to be the answer for change log kept within document.
I wonder if this system has some issues with nested changes, either for undoing or for accepting/rejecting any of them.

Claudius

Consider also a document with a series of XQuery Update changes, it would be quite hard to work out how to display these changes, but much easier if the changes are embedded in PIs within the document (or indeed in markup).

There is a design decision about where to keep the changes:
1. Within the document
2. Separate, e.g. in a series of transactions in XQuery Update

Most current systems I believe use choice 1, either as markup (e.g. Word, ODF, Arbortext) or PIs (e.g. oXygen, XMetaL, Xopus). I think there are good reasons for this choice.

Robin

--
Robin La Fontaine
Director

T: +44 1684 592 144 <tel:%2B44%201684%20592%20144>
E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com <mailto:robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com>
W: http://www.deltaxml.com
Malvern Hills Science Park, Malvern, Worcs, WR14 3SZ, UK
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK

[ … ]