Re: Fwd: A sort of synthesis

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Casey Jordan <casey.jordan@jorsek.com> wrote:

> Dennis you are correct in your assumptions about XPath, and while I think
> Claudius is on the right track by using something like XPath, it would
> probably make more sense to use a very constrained version of a "range" (IE
> Two points in a document).
>
> Take for instance this document:
>
> <topic>
>
> </topic>
>
> Given any tree structure we could represent a range in the with a pair of
> locations (start, end) and offsets. The node would be indicated by a
> position vector, and the offset by the caret placement in that node.
>
> Consider indicating that someone selected and deleted "Hello everyone!". The
> range would be:
>
> (Start: [0.0.0.0, 0], End [0.0.1, 10])
>

> The x.x.x sequence indicates the nodes position in the document. IE: The
> document element is at position 0. The title element is at position 0 with
> respect to it's parent, and so on.
>
> So [0.0.0.0, 0] indicates that the start node is the "Hello" text node, and
> the start position is at the beginning of the nodes character data (0).
>
> [0.0.1, 10] indicates that the end node is the " everyone!" text node, and
> the end position is at the end of the nodes character data (10)
>
> This method is simple, throughout and could be easily standardized.

It sounds to me like specifying a serialization for the startContainer
and endContainer properties of a DOM Range object would be useful.

I've recently done exactly this using XPath for the container and
integer for the offset, but the container could have been a position
vector as well.

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Traversal-Range/ranges.html