Re: Fwd: A sort of synthesis

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I think the injection of externally-held change-tracking is an interesting situation.
>
> Processors that attempt to merge the information in some way will have to be resilient with respect to situations where the subject XML document is not consistent with the one the changes were introduced for.
>
> It seems to me that the key issue is how the external material specifies where the tracked changes apply in the subject XML document.  Perhaps the closest highly-rigorous case is external application of XML Digital signatures to (parts of) an XML document.

I would recommend against attempting to answer this question since
this sort of document referencing is under active consideration the
Open Annotation Community Group, as well as others outside the W3C. My
experience with this question is sufficient to say confidently that
"it's a pretty hard problem". I suggest we focus on representing
changes and others can solve the problem of where to apply those
changes when the changes are externally sourced.