Re: Fwd: A sort of synthesis

+1 alsofor George, but there are use cases where external is useful, as
Claudius says. This view was expressed too when we presented the paper
in Prague.

I am hoping we can get the best of both worlds by having both in-line
and external representations and a standard transformation between them.
As George says, the in-line is more 'robust' and should probably be the
normative version, but we can discuss how to do that.

Robin
On 28/02/2013 17:27, Casey Jordan wrote:
> +1 George. This is a very important part of interoperability since
> there are so many "XML editors". As you know, many companies have
> groups using several tools on one content set.
>

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM, George Cristian Bina
> <george@oxygenxml.com <mailto:george@oxygenxml.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just a comment on this:
>

>     On 2/28/13 4:40 PM, Claudius Teodorescu wrote:
>
>         4. rendering of changes, by using a light syntax (PIs, for
>         instance);
>         such syntax is to be used for rendering only, thus not
>         over-loading the
>         XML document itself;
>

>     In oXygen's case, and I guess also in other XML tools, the PIs are
>     not a syntax for rendering the changes, it is only a serialization
>     format. Once the document is loaded the PIs are removed from the
>     document and kept in an in-memory structure that is modified by
>     the user actions and then when the document is saved the new
>     current change tracking structure is serialized as PIs.
>     There should not me a main issue if changes are stored out of
>     band, in an external storage and loaded from there. However,
>     having them separate from the document may easily result in
>     inconsistent information. The main advantage with having them
>     serialized directly in the document is that if some additional
>     changes are performed with a tool that does not record changes on
>     that document then the PIs will move as well so they will stay
>     next to the content they mark as modified.
>
>     Best Regards,
>     George
>     --
>     George Cristian Bina
>     <oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
>     http://www.oxygenxml.com
>

> --
> --
> Casey Jordan
> easyDITA a product of Jorsek LLC
> "CaseyDJordan" on LinkedIn, Twitter & Facebook
> (585) 348 7399
> easydita.com <http://easydita.com>
>

> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
> contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from
> disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
> please be advised that any disclosure  copying, distribution, or use of
> the information contained herein is prohibited.  If you have received
> this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message,
> whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments, and
> immediately contact the sender by replying to this e-mail or by phone.
> Thank you.

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Experts in information change"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK