Re: SVG Linking Test Case Questions

Woops, it seems this is really related to the whole target="_self"
question that caused so much anger in SVGT 1.2.  Only now am I
beginning to understand the picture, eight months after stuff hit the
fan...

Key Reading: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Aug/0053.html

Basically I agree with Sjoerd.  Now that we have a HTML WG again, it
seems like if the HTML spec was updated to specifically state that
HTML:object creates a "frame" for its content, then it would be clear
what web browsers should do for target="_self" (even in SVG 1.1) and
certain folks would be a little happier with the SVG 1.2 spec.  There
would be no incompatiblity for HTML UAs, i.e. _replace would always
mean _self and would match the de-facto behavior exhibited by IE and
Mozilla.  But of course, Opera would have to update its behavior to
match Mozilla's.  Not sure about Safari.

Jeff Schiller

P.S. I have asked to be included in the new W3C HTML effort, but am
waiting for acceptance via email.  If anyone feels this email will
help that group, please forward it to the mailing list.