Re: Focus navigation escape sequence

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:35:59 +0200
To: "Andrew Shellshear" <Andrew.Shellshear@cisra.canon.com.au>
Cc: public-cdf@w3.org

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 04:05:51 +0200, Andrew Shellshear
<Andrew.Shellshear@cisra.canon.com.au> wrote:
> specify where focus goes when you tab through nodes in the svg dom, with
> nav-next and nav-prev. If someone sets up a loop, how do people escape
> that loop back to the User Agent?

Wasn't this discussed during all the focus discussions during the W3C
Technical Planery? If not, I wonder why :-)

> Proposal: We add focus-escape to the focus navigation model.
> Focus-escape specifies an event that returns the focus to the User Agent.

Is that a property, attribute, event? How exactly would that work?

> Details: See
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/interact.html#navigationbehaviour
> For SVG, we decided to have a simplified focus navigation model.
> Focusable nodes may specify other focusable nodes with nav-next or
> nav-prev as attributes.
> The user may specify these, so it's possible for there to be a loop
> (A->B->C->A, for example). There are various proposals for how a user
> might get out of this loop - for example, you might automatically
> include the User Agent in the focus loop somehow (though this would
> almost certainly be unintuitive).
> We thought the most intuitive approach would be to have a focus-escape
> mechanism. This would be an Event (eg. "focusEscape") that occurs when
> the user hits the focus-escape button or otherwise activates the escape
> mechanism (which would be up to the UI).
> Does this seem sensible?

Given that more groups ought to be involved (the CSS WG has focus
navigation in a CR spec for some time now) I'm not sure the CDF WG can
decide that. However, I'm not speaking for the group.

Anne van Kesteren