Re: Fw: ACTION-335: Fw: Comments on "WICD Full/Mobile 1.0"

On Thursday, May 4, 2006, 9:18:08 PM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Chris Lilley wrote:
>>BH>   * the Working Group formally addressed all comments before publishing
>>BH>     the four last call announcements

>>I wonder if you could point to to the specific place in the Process
>>document that requires a Working Group to respond to all comments on a
>>previous Last Call, as opposed to saying that there have been many
>>changes as a result of comments and starting a new Last call?  This is
>>particularly important in the case where a specification has been
>>refactored into multiple specifications, or otherwise been subject to
>>major changes in structure.

BH> There was no previous last call for the documents I am concerned about,
BH> so I'm afraid this discussion would be offtopic here.

So, you are referring to comments that are not Last Call comments? And thus, on a specification which is not stable and may be subject to rapid change?

BH>  If you think the
BH> Process document is unclear about such an important matter, I would
BH> appreciate if you could register your concerns with the Advisory Board.

I don't, but thanks for confirming that you do not either.

>>BH>   * where I can read up on why the Working Group has not been able to
>>BH>     meet W3C's requirements for regular publication of updated drafts

>>I invite you to look at the volume of comments submitted,many by
>>yourself, and reflect for a moment that responding to each one takes
>>more or less time; thus the time between drafts is O(n) where n is the
>>number of comments.

BH> I wonder if you could point to to the specific place in the Process
BH> document

Unfortunately, your reflections are not contained in the Process document. The relationship between amount of work and time taken,while not liniear, should be obvious on casual inspection without recourse to a manual.

BH> that implies this relationship between volume of comments
BH> and meeting W3C's requirements for regular publication? In any case,
BH> I would rather learn such details from the mandatory public status
BH> report. You don't happen to know where I can find it?

I do. Follow the links from
http://www.w3.org/mid/OFE03E2A81.DC125C6C-ON85257145.00747C53-85257145.00750186@us.ibm.com

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group