Re: CDR: pointer event description vs. z-order

On Jan 30, 2006, at 7:35 PM, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> ...snip...
>
>> I'd also note that this doesn't resolve any differences in the way
>> SVG
>> and HTML+CSS define paint order (particularly with whether
>> 'visibility:hidden' elements receive events).
>
> Does the CDF working group plan to tackle this issue in any of the
> specs?
>
> Regards,
> Maciej
>
> ----------
>
> I think that processing model issues around paint order and event
> targeting are language-specific.

If this is the case, then the CDF working group should be careful to
avoid any normative references to event targeting and paint order.
However, the current CDR section is purely informative, so whatever
it says had better be correct per other specs.

> I don't see a need to unify HTML+CSS
> and SVG in this area. For the SVG viewport, look to the SVG spec
> for how
> to deal with paint order and event targeting. For the areas outside of
> the SVG viewport, look to the CSS spec. The only conflict is when
> there
> is a CSS region that has a higher z-index that the html:object tag
> that
> references some SVG content (or inline SVG instead of the
> html:object),
> but I think in that case it is fairly obvious that the CSS region with
> the higher z-index would be above the SVG content.

It might be good to state this explicitly in some spec (whether CSS
or SVG or CDR or WICD) instead of just letting it remain implicit.
Even if it is believed to already be required, it would be useful as
an informative note.

Regards,
Maciej