CDR user agent conformance; DOM shouldn't be mandatory

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:03:03 -0500
To: public-cdf@w3.org

For the reasons given in [1] (member-only link), I'd like to see the
user agent conformance section relax the requirement on user agents to
implement the DOM.  I'm happy to see something saying "If the DOM is
exposed, then it MUST at least implement Level 3 etc.." though.

In addition to the reasons in [1], the document already says things
like this, suggesting that mandatory support isn't required;

"Compound document profiles which leverage the Compound Document
Framework and **which support scripting** must have scripting
interfaces that are compatible with the DOM Level 3 Core
 -- sec 2.1 (emphasis mine)

"User agents, which support a DOM, must provide access to child documents."
 -- sec 2.1.3

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-cdf/2005Dec/0078

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.       http://www.markbaker.ca