CDR: conflicting definitions of the target attribute

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 01:55:32 -0800
To: public-cdf@w3.org

The CDR spec points out that different specs have different behavior
for the "_self" value of the target attribute on links, and it is
indeed the case that the SVG Tiny 1.2 spec requests something
different than HTML. The fact that this occurs is a problem and the
spec should not encourage this. It tries to make some distinction
based on "mostly replaced use" but consider a CDR scenario where the
document included is a CDI - it would be majorly confusing that
target="_self" would have different behavior for <svg:a> and <html:a>
in the same document. WebCGM is somewhat different in this regard
since it does not itself have a DOM or scripting and cannot
participate in CDI. Therefore:

- I request that the spec not encourage divergent definitions of the
target attribute.

- I request that the CDF working group formally raise this issue with
the SVG working group (I will also make sure to raise it myself).

Regards,
Maciej