Re: [SVGMobile12] event aliasing

From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:58:21 +0200
Cc: <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, <www-svg@w3.org>, <public-webapi@w3.org>, <public-cdf@w3.org>, <www-smil@w3.org>
To: Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>

On 2-apr-2006, at 20:44, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
> Mysteriously and unfortunately, SMIL says that "The focusInEvent [...]
> does
> not bubble." This differs from DOMFocusIn, obviously, and it's not
> clear
> why
> they specify that; perhaps the SYMM WG can clarify their rationale,
> and
> might even be willing to change this behavior in an errata, to come in
> line
> with other Specs.

The issue is that in SMIL the focusInEvent gets sent to a media item
in the body section, not to a region in the layout section. In the
layout section it would have made sense to have the focusInEvent
bubble, but not in the body section: unlike HTML, where containment
has (usually) some spatial correspondence, in SMIL a media node and
its parent have no spatial relationship whatsoever.

Note that this is all in the SMIL 2[.1] Language Profile, other
profiles or languages that reuse SMIL timing but have a tree
structure more like HTML than like SMIL should probably state that
the events do bubble.
Goldman