Re: Preliminary walk through of HitRegions ahead of Canvas call

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org> wrote:

> I walked myself through the Hit Regions spec and attempted to identify
> sections that were a high priority for L1, those that would be nice to have
> in L1 and those that could be delayed until L2.  During this walk through,
> a few questions emerged.  The answers to these questions will most likely
> affect what goes in L1 and what gets delayed until L2:
>
> 1. Do we plan on supporting nested regions with hierarchical/ancestor
> relationships in L1? (Assuming so)

Maybe. They don't seem too hard to implement.

> 2. Do we plan on supporting custom mouse cursors?

No.

> 3. Do we need fill rule?

Yes, L1

> Assumptions I made:
>
> 1. We will not be supporting unbacked region descriptions like label or
> ARIA roles for L1.
> 2. We will be supporting removeHitRegion
> 3. We will be supporting the MouseEvent interface

Yes

> Below are my notes.  We can use these as talking points during the Canvas
> call on 03 March 2014.
>
> Mark
>
> > ###### 1.1.15 Hit regions
> >
> > A hit region list is a list of hit regions for a bitmap.
>
> I imagine we are still supporting hit region lists.
> >
> > Each hit region consists of the following information:
> >
> >   * A set of pixels on the bitmap for which this region is responsible.
> >
> >   * A bounding circumference on the bitmap that surrounds the hit
> region's set of pixels as they stood when it was created.
> >
> >   * Optionally, a non-empty string representing an ID for distinguishing
> the region from others.
> >
> >   * Optionally, a reference to another region that acts as the parent
> for this one.
> >
> >   * A count of regions that have this one as their parent, known as the
> hit region's child count.
>
> Do we have plans to support nested regions with hierarchical/ancestor
> relationships?
> >
> >   * A cursor specification, in the form of either a CSS cursor value, or
> the string "`inherit`" meaning that the cursor of the hit region's parent,
> if any, or of the `canvas` element, if not, is to be used instead.
>
> If this is not hard to implement, it could be nice to have.  Lower
> priority though.

yes, let's do it for L2

> >   * Optionally, either a control, or an unbacked region description.
>
> Control for L1 and unbacked region description for L2?

yes

> > A control is just a reference to an `Element` node, to which, in certain
> > conditions, the user agent will route events, and from which the user
> agent
> > will determine the state of the hit region for the purposes of
> accessibility
> > tools. (The control is ignored when it is not a descendant of the
> `canvas`
> > element.)
> >
> > An unbacked region description consists of the following:
> >
> >     * Optionally, a label.
> >
> >     * An ARIA role, which, if the unbacked region description also has a
> label, could be the empty string.
> >
> > context . `addHitRegion`(options)
>
> I assume this is for L2?

yes

> > Adds a hit region to the bitmap. The argument is an object with the
> following
> > members:
> >
> > `path` (default null)
> >
> >     A `Path` object that describes the pixels that form part of the
> region. If this member is not provided or is set to null, the current
> default path is used instead.
> > `fillRule` (default "`nonzero`")
>
> I understand we are only going to support the current default path at this
> time.  How should we include that in the spec?

Maybe the method should throw notsupported if you put pass in a path. (same
with label and role)

> >     The fill rule to use when determining which pixels are inside the
> path.
> > `id` (default empty string)
>
> >From my understanding, fill rule will be needed for Hit Testing.  Is that
> correct?  Is it a necessary part or can it wait until L2?  Seems like Rik
> has basic Hit Testing support in the Firefox Nightly.  Not sure if it uses
> fill rule at all.
> >
> >     The ID to use for this region. This is used in `MouseEvent` events
> on the `canvas` (`event.region`) and as a way to reference this region in
> later calls to `addHitRegion()`.
> > `parentID` (default null)
>
> Assuming we will support this.
> >
> >     The ID of the parent region, for purposes of navigation by
> accessibility tools and for cursor fallback.
> > `cursor` (default "`inherit`")
>
> L1
> >
> >     The cursor to use when the mouse is over this region. The value
> "`inherit`" means to use the cursor for the parent region (as specified by
> the `parentID` member), if any, or to use the `canvas` element's cursor if
> the region has no parent.
> > `control` (default null)
>
> Lower priority for L1

Maybe your message content is a bit out of sync.
Content is needed for L1.

> >     An element (that is a descendant of the `canvas`) to which events
> are to be routed, and which accessibility tools are to use as a surrogate
> for describing and interacting with this region.
> > `label` (default null)
>
> L1

No, that should go for L2.

> [...]
> >
> >   2. If region has a parent, then let region be that hit region's
> parent, and return to the step labeled _loop_.
> >
> >   3. Otherwise, return the used value of the 'cursor' property for the
> `canvas` element, if any; if there isn't one, return 'auto'. [CSSUI]
> >
> > The region for a pixel pixel on a bitmap bitmap is the value returned by
> the
> > following algorithm (which can return a hit region or nothing):
> >
> >   1. Let list be the hit region list associated with bitmap.
> >
> >   2. If there is a hit region in list whose set of pixels contains
> pixel, then return that hit region and abort these steps.
> >
> >   3. Otherwise, return nothing.
> >
> > To clear regions that cover the pixels pixels on a bitmap bitmap, the
> user
> > agent must run the following steps:
> >
> >   1. Let list be the hit region list associated with bitmap.
> >
> >   2. Remove all pixels in pixels from the set of pixels of each hit
> region in list.
> >
> >   3. Garbage-collect the regions of bitmap.
> >
> > To garbage-collect the regions of a bitmap bitmap, the user agent must
> run the
> > following steps:
> >
> >   1. Let list be the hit region list associated with bitmap.
> >
> >   2. _Loop_: Let victim be the first hit region in list to have an empty
> set of pixels and a zero child count, if any. If there is no such hit
> region, abort these steps.
> >
> >   3. If victim has a parent, then decrement that hit region's child
> count by one.
> >
> >   4. Remove victim from list.
> >
> >   5. Jump back to the step labeled _loop_.
> >
> > Adding a new region and calling `clearRect()` are the two ways this
> clearing
> > algorithm can be invoked. The hit region list itself is also reset when
> the
> > rendering context is reset, e.g. when a `CanvasRenderingContext2D`
> object is
> > bound to or unbound from a `canvas`, or when the dimensions of the
> bitmap are
> > changed.
> >
> > * * *
> >
> > When the `addHitRegion()` method is invoked, the user agent must run the
> > following steps:
> >
> >   1. Let arguments be the dictionary object provided as the method's
> argument.
> >
> >   2. If the arguments object's `path` member is not null, let source
> path be the `path` member's value. Otherwise, let it be the
> `CanvasRenderingContext2D` object's current default path.
>
> I assume this will be something like: "The source path will be the
> `CanvasRenderingContext2D` object's current default path."
> >
> >   3. Transform all the coordinates and lines in source path by the
> current transform matrix, if the arguments object's `path` member is not
> null.
>
> L2
> >
> >   4. Let specified pixels be the pixels contained in source path, using
> the fill rule indicated by the `fillRule` member.

No, L1

> [...]
> null or no such region currently exists, let parent region be null.
> L1?
> >
> >   9. If the arguments object's `label` member is the empty string, let
> it be null instead.
> L1
> >
> >   10. If any of the following conditions are met, throw a
> `NotSupportedError` exception and abort these steps.
> >
> >     * The arguments object's `control` and `label` members are both
> non-null.
> >     * The arguments object's `control` and `role` members are both
> non-null.
> >     * The arguments object's `role` member's value is the empty string,
> and the `label` member's value is either null or the empty string.
> Not necessary in L1 unless we support label and role.
> >     * The specified pixels has no pixels.
> >     * The arguments object's `control` member is not null but is neither
> an `a` element that represents a hyperlink, a `button` element, an `input`
> element whose `type` attribute is in one of the Checkbox or Radio Button
> states, nor an `input` element that is a button.
> I believe we do not need the above if the control is not limited.
> >     * The parent region is not null but has a control.
> >     * The previous region for this ID is the same hit region as the
> parent region.
> >     * The previous region for this ID is an ancestor region of the
> parent region.
> >   11. If the `parent` member is not null but parent region is null, then
> throw a `NotFoundError` exception and abort these steps.
> >
> >   12. If any of the following conditions are met, throw a `SyntaxError`
> exception and abort these steps.
> >
> >     * The arguments object's `cursor` member is not null but is neither
> an ASCII case-insensitive match for the string "`inherit`", nor a valid CSS
> 'cursor' property value. [CSSUI]
> Depends on if we support cursors in L1
> >     * The arguments object's `role` member is not null but its value is
> not an ordered set of unique space-separated tokens whose tokens are all
> case-sensitive matches for names of non-abstract WAI-ARIA roles. [ARIA]
> L2
> >   13. Let region be a newly created hit region, with its information
> configured as follows:
> >
> > Hit region's set of pixels
> >

> > The specified pixels
> >
> > Hit region's bounding circumference
> >

> > A user-agent-defined shape that wraps the pixels contained in source
> path. (In
> > the simplest case, this can just be the bounding rectangle; this
> specification
> > allows it to be any shape in order to allow other interfaces.)
> L1
> >
> > Hit region's ID
> >

> > If the arguments object's `id` member is not null: the value of the `id`
> > member. Otherwise, region has no id.
> L1
> >
> > Hit region's parent
> >

> > If parent region is not null: parent region. Otherwise, region has no

No, let's do L2 for cursors