Re: hit regions Firefox support update

All:

We need the less restrictive version of the API. There will be times where
we have controls whereby you need access to subcomponents to tie the region
location to - such as a combo box. An HTML5 select will not allow you to
provide this level of control. Furthermore all HTML5 elements support
tabindex. The restrictions would largely require us to restrict keyboard
navigation to form controls in fallback content which would take the web
back to 2004 when we started WAI-ARIA. If there is an opportunity to use
HTML5 standard controls in fallback then by all means we should use them
but the restriction only holds us back - not unlike authors who chose to
use custom UI controls with script and css. Canvas is all about creating a
custom UI.

I am not able to post to WhatWG but we must remove the restrictions if this
is to work properly.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger