RE: Questions RE: Hit Regions before return to Last Call

I've updated the issues on clearHitRegions() and moving the clearRect and clearHitRegions. I just submitted.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sadecki [mailto:mark@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:56 PM
To: public-canvas-api@w3.org
Cc: HTML A11Y TF Public; Jay Munro; Rik Cabanier (cabanier@adobe.com); Jatinder Mann; Richard Schwerdtfeger
Subject: Questions RE: Hit Regions before return to Last Call

As we prepare to move Canvas back to LC (we have committed to get the HTML WG chairs a stable document *this* week), I reviewed the Hit Regions section of Canvas L1 ED [1] and had the following questions:

# if control is null

Should we have a step in "The region representing the control" [2] processing algorithm that matches Step 1 in "The region representing the ID" [3] that reads something like:

"If control is null, return nothing and abort these steps."

Now that control and ID are both optional, I think we should handle the case that they are not specified.

# clearHitRegions() not defined

While we reference clearHitRegions() in a Note following "The region for a pixel" algorithm [4], we don't define a processing algorithm for this method.
Suggest adding one below the removeHitRegion() definition [5].
>> Jay:  done

# Move Note RE: clearRect() and clearHitRegions()

The note referenced above [4] would make more sense following the definition of
removeHitRegion() and clearHitRegions() where we actually discuss methods for removing and/or clearing Hit Regions.
>>Jay: Done

# Steps 5 & 8 from addHitRegion() [6] are unclear and seem to suggest the opposite of their intention.

Steps 5 & 8, as they are worded, seem to suggest to me that if the ID or control referenced in the arguments object are not null, and they reference the ID or control of a previous region, then the *previous* region should remain associated with this region.  This is in direct conflict with steps 9 & 10 and the behavior we discussed on call, that adding a Hit Region that shares a control or ID with a previously referenced region would remove/clear the previous region.

I also feel like steps 5 & 8 should both come before or after step 7, not before and after it.  There may be a reason for this order that I'm not aware of, though.

I look forward to your feedback,

Mark

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/2dcontext/html5_canvas_CR/#hit-regions
[2]