Re: Adding winding rules to Canvas

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:

>  On 1/15/2013 3:13 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
>
> It’s great to see a proposal here. I strongly feel we should allow
> developers to select either non-zero winding rule or even-odd rule, just
> like other graphics technologies. I prefer this proposal instead of
> introducing new functions for developers to learn, e.g., eoFill(),
> eoIsPointInPath(), and eoClip().
>

> By and large, we've switched to even-odd and there are some strange
> patents covering the conversion process.
>
> That said, I do not want to see eo prefixes.

I think everyone is on the same page there.

> I just don't see this as an issue. In my discussions with developers and
> experience, the non-zero rule has won-out as the final output format, for
> SVG and otherwise.
>
> Paths are already compiled on the design-side.

that is not always the case. PDF.js for example needs it so it can
translate PDF constructs.
If people want to implement other technology (such as Flash style paths)
they will face similar issues.

There is also the intent of making the imaging model of SVG and Canvas
similar. This will make both technologies more appealing and will ease the
life of developers.