Re: libreoffice now implements HTML 5 canvas

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:10:27 -0800
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-canvas-api@w3.org, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, cyns@exchange.microsoft.com, jbrewer@w3.org, david.bolter@gmail.com, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, mike@w3.org
On 2/7/2012 2:03 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 04:47 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>> Paul, Sam,
>>
>> You should consider reverting your vacated decision on canvas
>> caret/selection processing.
>>
>> libreoffice now provides a full office suite, including rich text
>> editing using HTML 5 canvas:
>>
>> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/msg03226.html
>
> This is certainly relevant information.  Thanks for forwarding it.
>
> [snip]
>
>> At this point I see no reason to submit a new change proposal. You have
>> the one we submitted previously.
>
> The proposal submitted previously continues to not specify the
> baseline.  Perhaps I missed it, but nothing in that email above
> specifically supports the removal of the canDrawCustom parameter from
> drawFocusRing.

The newest proposals are a bit nicer, but even the original proposal
defined baseline as "the vertical offset of the anchor point for the
text that was passed to the measureText() method".

The "vertical offset of the anchor point" was already defined in the
standard under the textBaseline section.

-Charles