Re: canvas example

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> On 12/21/11 6:27 PM, Jonathan Mcdougall wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 at 02:44:46, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is an odd example, IMO -
>>> http://canui.sourceforge.net/canui/canui.js  is a huge amount of
>>> code
>>
>> I am the author of that library. I was not aware of this discussion
>> and only found it recently on google. Sorry if I'm a bit late.
>
> Jonathan, thank you for posting to the list. We're in need of
> experienced Canvas developers, your perspective is important.

I am not really experienced and do not do web development
professionally. I just played around with it to see what it could do,
but I'll happily help if I can.

> [...] I'd like to work with you toward partial WCAG 2.0 Conformance.
> That's a big part of what I've been doing on this list: trying to
> ensure Canvas UI can meet WCAG 2.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
>
> You've already done some keyboard events; there are some role=""
> attributes (already matching what you're using, names like "combobox")
> and other tweaks that will bring canui closer to conformance.

Hm, that sounded like indoctrination :).

I can't help with this for the moment. I wrote previously that I am not
currently working on that project anymore for various reasons. Bringing
canui "closer to conformance" does not interest me. However, the code is
in the public domain.

> So for example, with your application, it makes the most sense to have
> a combobox look like: <canvas role="combobox" tabindex="0"
> aria-label="select an item"></canvas>

Although every control can live in its own <canvas>, I never thought of
using it this way. I was expecting the various controls to be part of a
larger canvas. One of the difficulties is with floating elements such as
menus or comboboxes, where the canvas needs to extend past the bounds of
the control while in a normal state, giving trouble with the flow around
it.

I'm also not sure what we're talking about here. I'm reading on this
mailing list about how <canvas> shouldn't be used to replace native
controls (which I mostly agree with), but you seem to suggest otherwise.

--
Jonathan McDougall