Re: Hit testing use cases Re: Request to re-open issue 131

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 01:30:30 +0100
To: "Charles Pritchard" <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: "Steve Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "Paul Bakaus" <pbakaus@zynga.com>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:26:22 +0100, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:

> In the spirit of good discussion I'm going to ask that people refrain
> from describing the development of text entry tools in Canvas as
> "foolish". It's been publicly framed as such by several developers
> including the HTML5 editor. It's widely known that I've created several
> text editing implementations, as have some of my peers. I find these
> remarks disparaging and without technical merit.

Fair enough. I apologise for any assertion that the developer who chooses
to make a text editor in canvas is a fool (indeed, it is something I
suspect is beyond rather than beneath my own intellectual capability).

> iOS Mobile Safari does not implement contentEditable yet Canvas RTE
> works on the platform. Authors have been creating text widgets since
> GUIs first allowed them to. There's nothing taboo in the desktop realm
> about text editing.
>
> All vendors found a big leap up in using their own (or new)
> rasterization techniques. Software code is not magical, there is no
> reason that custom UI components ought to be treated as taboo.

I think that is a fair statement. If I were to enter again in the
discussion I would clarify that I mean it is an unfortunate state of
affairs when such an approach is in fact the optimal solution to the
problem of rich text editing, and I accept that nevertheless that is a
state of affairs that has prevailed, through no fault of the developers
like yourself who are trying to solve real problems for real people.
> [...]
> I've done my part in good faith.

Indeed.

> I'm requesting that vendors show more respect to the process of Canvas
> UI development these discussions.

And a fair request it is. Sorry for any hurt that I have caused - I didn't
mean to disparage your work and decisions abut how to do it in any way.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk