RE: draft of hit testing on active regions (actually paths) in canvas

A preview of that draft, based on notes I took during the meeting:

These new methods manage the association of pixels drawn with canvas fallback elements:
beginElement(Element element);
endElement(Element element);
eraseElement(element) ;
eraseElements();

So, code example:

For a html page with this content:
<canvas>
  <input type=checkbox id=checkboxA >Checkbox A</input>
  <input type=checkbox id=checkboxB >Checkbox B</input>
</canvas>

By default, all pixels on a canvas are 'unassociated'. The author would use these new methods to associate pixels with fallback elements.

When drawing the checkbox:
// Rendering code
ctx.beginElement(checkboxA);     //Tell the canvas context that all non-fully-transparent pixels that we are rendering from this point on represents the clickable area for the checkbox UI
// Draw a background for the checkbox
ctx.fillStyle = 'white';
ctx.rect(0, 0, 100, 20);
context.fill();

// Draw the actual checkbox
ctx.rect(5, 5, 10, 10);
ctx.stroke();

if (checkboxA.checked)
{
  ctx.fillStyle = 'black';
  ctx.fill();
}
ctx.fillText('checkbox', 20, 10);
endElement(checkboxA); //We are done with element rendering

The UA/magnifier would associate any pixels rendered from beginElement() to endElement() with the fallback dom element; the fallback dom element 'owns' those pixels on the screen. To resolve overlap, last write wins. (Implementation note: A UA could use a bitmap to associate pixels with fallback dom elements. A value of 0 in that bitmap could mean 'no association'; value 1 could mean 'first element in the fallback dom element lookup table', etc.)

Between beginElement() and endElement(), the UA would keep track of the extent of the pixels that are touched by drawing operations; it would use this to compute the bounding rectangle when a magnifier asks for the element's extent.

At some point in the future, when my canvas bitmap no longer has that checkbox visible:

               ctx.eraseElement(checkboxA); //Clear all pixels 'owned' by checkboxA
               (This imo assumes that you are removing or disabling the corresponding DOM checkbox input element)

All the pixels that were associated with checkboxA would now be unassociated with any fallback dom element.

eraseElements() does the same, but for all fallback dom elements.

I could (potentially) also clear some of the pixels that are associated with a corresponding canvas element:
ctx.beginElement(null);   //Tell the canvas context that all non-fully-transparent pixels that we are rendering from this point on should not be part of any element
ctx.fillStyle = 'white';
ctx.rect(0, 0, 100, 100);
context.fill();
endElement(checkboxA); //We are done with element rendering