RE: canvas example

From: Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 02:44:46 +0000
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>
CC: "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
This is an odd example, IMO - http://canui.sourceforge.net/canui/canui.js is a huge amount of code that:

Textbox, Tooltip, Buttons, Combobox, Image, Label, Link - recreates built-in (input) elements.
List, Menu, Progress, Dialog - is easily done with divs; there are multiple libraries that do this already.

The example controls won't work well on mobile devices. They add no new functionality to the existing set of input elements / libraries.

I can see developers using canvas where they get new functionality not possible today. I don't think any serious web developer will spend time / add risk to their project to get (16 year old!) Windows 95 styling. If there really is a developer/company with a need for Win95 styling in their UI, they are much better off making a regular web page with regular <input> elements, and then buying Windows 7 and configuring it to use the 'Windows Classic' theme. :)