Re: Issues the chairs overlooked in their review of the canvas accessibility API proposal for Issue 131

Hi Rich,

The Chairs discussed your reopen request. In order to properly evaluate your request to reopen based on new information, we need to see an updated Change Proposal. In particular, looking at the Change Proposal at <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelection>, we believe the following changes are necessary:

1) The Change Proposal needs to be written relative to a baseline of the current HTML Canvas 2D Context draft, not relative to the old specification. The Details section, both the prose description and the spec diffs, appear to be relative to the old spec. This makes it impossible for the Chairs or the Working Group to evaluate specifically the additional changes being proposed.

2) The Change Proposal needs to clearly identify what material is new information. It is not possible to tell from reading it which aspects are new information.

3) Any information contained in the response below needs to be folded into the Change Proposal as well.

Additionally, and as purely advisory notes at this time, I make the following suggestions:

4) The fact that Details are provided *both* as exact spec diffs *and* as a numbered list, and the fact that the two don't quite match, was a serious problem in the last round for this issue. Please consider providing only one of these, or if you must provide both, be very clear about which is normative and which is advisory, and make very sure that the two match exactly in all details. If your Change Proposal is found to have sufficient information to reopen the issue, it is very likely that this double description of the changes will be a focus for future review.

5) Full text of the spec with <ZZZ> inline markers is a format that makes it very hard to see specifically what changed, and which cannot be reviewed at a glance. If you must provide spec text diffs, consider using a format such as unified diff or side-by-side diff so the actual changes can be seen clearly.

6) I was unable to follow your responses below on the inconsistency and driving magnification. If you incorporate text along those lines into a Change Proposal, it is unlikely to make a compelling argument unless it is adjusted. Specifically:

    6.a) On the consistency issue, there doesn't seem to be any support for the statement, "this is consistent". The claimed inconsistency was that there is no way to draw a native-style selection or caret, while drawing native-style is forced for the focus ring. You reiterate these points, and then claim it is consistent. Why is this consistent? You may want to clarify this explanation when incorporating into the updated Change Proposal/

    6.b) On the matter of clarifying how your Change Proposal makes it impossible to draw focus without driving magnification, your response explains how the current spec makes this possible, but does not appear to explain why it would be impossible under your proposal. To a cursory review it seems completely possible.

7) Your reference to section 508 would be stronger if you provided a link and/or a reference to a specific section. As things stand, it would be difficult for anyone to check the reference to verify what section 508 says for themselves.

Regards,
Maciej