Re: SVG vs canvas performance

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> I think this is the wrong comparison to use for this particular test case,
> for a couple of reasons. First, most browser vendors have done a lot of work
> recently on improving Canvas performance. The same can't be said about SVG.
> So Canvas is going to be significantly faster than SVG for that reason
> alone.

Sure. It was a thought experiment to look beyond where we are today, and
consider what needs to be done to make SVG faster, and which issues will be
most difficult to overcome.

Second, SVG is probably not even the best tool to use for this demo. It is
> basically just a bunch of images blitting around the screen. The better
> comparison would be to make a version using HTML images and CSS for
> animation. I haven't done the test myself, but WebKit would at least be able
> to give Canvas a run for its money since it accelerates both the rendering
> and animation of demos like this. We recently added the "step" timing
> functions which make flipbook animations much simpler.
>
> I'm writing this test now. Maybe I'll have some results in a day or two.

Looking forward to it!

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our