RE: Reasons of using Canvas for UI design

Using <canvas> to generate a (static) bar chart is no different in concept than using server-side code to generate a PNG with the same information (I remember doing this 12 years and adding alt text for a11y). In either case, you could add a11y info to the 'image'.

If your bar chart is 'interactive' (changing the data ranges of the charts, etc) you could refresh the a11y info.

From: paniz alipour [mailto:alipourpaniz@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:49 AM
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger; Canvas; public-html-a11y@w3.org; Charles Pritchard; david.bolter@gmail.com; Cynthia Shelly; public-html@w3.org; public-canvas-api-request@w3.org; Frank Olivier; Mike@w3.org
Subject: Re: Reasons of using Canvas for UI design

Ok,Richard ,

But it is just one example!

and bar charts aren't interactive UI ?Are they? I think it couldn't be generalized?

What's your opinion?

Thanks for your attention
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com<mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com>> wrote:

Often pie charts have different colors for each part of the pie meaning it is not a fixed image. The same goes for things like bar charts. Libraries like Dojo have made use of SVG and/or Flash to render these types of solutions.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group
[Inactive hide details for paniz alipour ---07/12/2011 10:29:12 AM---No ,not drawn, as I saw you did it,by an image and image ma]paniz alipour ---07/12/2011 10:29:12 AM---No ,not drawn, as I saw you did it,by an image and image map and jQuery. On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:4