Re: Reasons of using Canvas for UI design

I've seen canvas used for input type=color, input type=range
and to setup an input type for signatures with pen devices.

For the first two items, the motivation was simply because the
input types are not widely implemented.

Signatures with pen devices could be handled with SVG or Canvas;
there is not a particular input type for this.

We have used Canvas to get more flexibility for <select> elements,
which traditionally have not been that customizable. In such cases,
ARIA labeling allows a lot of flexibility and DIV/SVG/Canvas are all
able to exploit that power.

-Charles