Re: hit testing and retained graphics

Yes, they are implemented in IE9. You can use Inspector or other
MSAA/UIAutomation tools to see
that they are implemented in IE and supported on the OS level.

They do require a number of hooks and the design to be handled in Canvas.

For example, you may not simply setup a select element and use drawImage
to make
it appear on the canvas. You must draw all of the shapes via Canvas
commands.

WebKit does support drawImage of SVG documents.

For most HTML form elements, I do suggest using the appropriate HTML
element, as
some ATs can modify those elements directly, triggering things like
onchange.

-Charles