Re: Accessibility, perfect or better Re: hit testing and retained graphics

I think the question is.

Tab, do you want to work with us to address this gap in canvas
accessibility or are you going to push the SVG alternative?  These
statements on WhatWG would indicate that you feel accessibility discussions
to be a nuisance:

TabAtkins:40% of the new email in my inbox from the last 10 minutes is
a11y.[8:08pm]
TabAtkins:Ah, to be fair, one of those was the public-a11y reminder that
I'm not registered and the list hates me.

Yet, I see that there was no discussion on the list to solve the problem we
are trying to address.

If you feel that we are wasting your time and that we should move on to SVG
leaving the accessibility hole in canvas then please let us know so that we
can develop a proposal without you. This way WhatWG does not have to read
our emails and we can solve this problem in the W3C. Frankly, I would
prefer your assistance on the canvas issue and the volume of email you are
seeing indicates that I am not alone.

It is clear that if someone develops a canvas application it will be
inaccessible on both desktop and mobile devices to screen readers and
screen magnifiers, without the notion of where the drawing objects are.
Canvas is a key feature of HTML 5. This is the HTML 5 list and not the SVG
list.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group